Persian lamb and aubergine stew

 

This Iranian lamb and aubergine stew, slow cooked was so scrummy that the bird said it was just the best thing, then I made a chicken low mein last night and it slipped to number two. But then I'd say Man na sar-e piâzam na tah-e piâz, if I could, which means literally: I’m neither the top of the onion nor the bottom, or am I bovvered? I like that phrase, the onion one I mean.

Easy stew - use a pan that can go in the oven, so in a bit of butter and oil caramalize your lamb, add onions and fry till transluscent, add a squirt of tom puree and push it around for a minute, then a tbl spoon of coriander, a teaspoon of turmeric, a couple of garlic cloves, a piece of cinnamon. Next a mug of lamb stock, a tin of chopped toms, handful of sultanas, season and set to simmer for an hour and a bit.

This is the way I prep aubergine and it always works, so cut your aubergine into slices and place in a bowl of very salted water for thirty minutes, then rinse thoroughly - I leave the tap running for a few minutes. Next drain and dry on kitchen roll, brush with olive oil and place in a hot oven till browned, turn over - 30 mins or so.

Next place the aubergines under the meat stew and halve a few cherry toms and then put the pan in the oven for a further 20 - 30 mins. When plated squeeze a piece of lime over the stew.

Serve with a tahdig. If you can do the above you have doubled your value in camels.