What to do when the Tinned Baked Beans Fairy has left your cupboard bereft again #2

 


For some inexplicable reason my other half has banned me from making Toad in the Hole when she is in the house. Don't understand why, but it's her law, and if I want to live I have to follow it. She knows I always have Toad with beans too. So either she's stopped buying them deliberatlely, or the Heinz beans fairy has failed me again. Anyway she's not here and there are no baked beans, so I'm on it...

This recipe though is the closest I have got to that blue tin we all love.

So fry half an onion till clear, add some tom puree and fry it, then add a tin of chopped toms, a splash of water, a tbls of rice wine vinegar, a tsp paprika, a tbls of brown sugar, a tsp of soy sauce. Simmer for five mins and then blend with a stick blender. Now add drained and rinsed cannellini beans, simmer another couple of minutes, and you've got a very good copy of Heinz beans. Not saying it's better, but it's good. Then I don't know why they are known as 'baked' beans as they aren't..