Recipe for Apple, Pear and Bacon Salad with a warm Cheese Sauce

 

Apple, Pear and Bacon Salad

Lets take on the King of salads. Yes the mighty Caesar. This simple salad of apples (pears too if you have them) a little bacon, a crispy lettuce with a strong cheese sauce is a worthy contender. 

I love the mighty Caesar salad and I'll choose it every time if I see it on a menu. Yet this Irish recipe is so blindingly obvious I'm surprised I've only seen it in a recipe book once. And that I've never thought of using these ingredients in such a simple way.

So pan fry pieces of bacon until they start to brown, then add slices of peeled apple and pear to the frying pan, season. Meanwhile chop lots of cos lettuce, toss with a little olive oil and lemon and arrange on a plate. 

Meanwhile make a sauce; grate some cheddar, warm a little cream or milk, add a teaspoon of cider vinegar and the same of lemon juice, season. If it tries to split then keep mixing, it will be okay, then add the grated cheese, mix, keep mixing.

By now the apple and pear should of caught a little colour, place them and the bacon over the lettuce, pour over the sauce and enjoy.

I think this will become a go to formula, fruit, salad, sauce, black pudding would work, haggis too, mmm.

I served this with potatoes al forno