Mountain breakfast, pork and beans, Spanish style.

Once a young man and whilst riding my horse around the Sierra Nevada, I always attached panniers laden with local olive oil, chorizo, peppers, pimento, garlic, some toms, morcilla  (black pudding) and a jars of white beans to the steed. Along with lots of bottles of good but cheap Rioja. Campfires beneath starry Spanish skies were a joy, and now sadly a distant and far fetched memory. 

Back home tho occasionally I find fresh chorizo sausages in a supermarket, and with a tear in my eye for lost youth am inspired to recreate the halcyon eves when the as the sun set, the evening chill beneath the big sky vista also descends, and it still does I imagine, in that land so distant, Back then tho I was warmed only by rustic food and robust wine on my own with the constellations. Sated and well slept I was ready for the prospect of the next days hard hack, onwards and upwards towards Granada and it's jewel, The Alhambra.

From the farting scene in 'Blazing Saddles' to Heinz beans with sausages in a tin, we all know pork and beans are always a winner. And this is mountain breakfast, pork and beans, Spanish style.