Hungarian Sausage, Potato & Cabbage Soup

Hungarian Sausage, Potato & Cabbage Soup

Finding no meat in Lidl last week due to the panic buying, I however did find a pack of Hungarian sausages, and thought, 'when the going gets tough, the tough make soup'.

First in your soup pan, fry slices of sausage in butter till browned both sides, remove, add chopped onion, fry till clear, add garlic and a piece of chilli (your supposed to use paprika but hey I didn't have any), then a spoon of flour and stir round, add chopped up bits of potato, chopped up small. Then chicken stock, bring to a simmer and add lots of finely chopped cabbage, a tablespoon of pepper, bay leaf, and paprika but like I said I don't have any so tobasco would have to do. Simmer for about half an hour, then add some white vinegar or cider vinegar - two tablespoons, but again I didn't have any, so a splash of lemon juice went in. Add the sausages and simmer for another ten minutes, or until your happy, which at the moment could be a long time...

I didn't have any sour cream, quelle surprise but did have some cream cheese and some chives.

More lockdown soups to follow.