How to make Greek Feta and Spinach Pie - recipe

Greek Feta and Spinach Pie

I only know two Greek people and they are both named Dimitri. I like them both. Dimitri 'two' has a Silver workshop in Sedbergh and he told me about this pie that is a national favourite and that the Polish shop that I had previously told him about in Kendal often has it available, he confides, it's similar to a Bulgarian one. More reasons to shop there, I think. I haven't seen Dimitri 'one' for a while and wish him well.

The topping of the feta pie is supposed to be filo pastry but hey, no filo, so I made a really 'short' shortcrust that melted in your mouth and well I would hope the Dimitris would like the result as much as I did.

Greek Feta and Spinach Pie
My pastry making has got a lot better since I've been making it in a really 'hardly' worked fashion. And I would suggest that you try my - lets not try approach, it's easy and fairly bombproof. Also may I suggest doing the pastry bit on top of a sheet of grease proof paper, thus preventing mess and earache.

So wizz some salt in with 4oz flour, 1 oz lard 1 oz butter, wizz, a little very cold water combined with a teaspoon of rice vinegar, Wizz till the flour mix is almost starting to be a ball. Collect it and wrap in cling film and put it into a fridge it for at least half an hour. Make it into a lump then use your hands and fingers, not a rolling pin, to gently form a circle of pastry. This method is easier than you think and as the pastry is unworked is lighter.

Make a mixture of chopped feta cheese, garlic, spring onions, chopped, but uncooked spinach, mint, dill, lemon juice, a beaten egg, nutmeg and seasoning. Arrange on a dish then just add a layer of pine nuts to top the mixture. Put the pastry lid on (I didn't brush with egg) and bake for 40 mins.

When I'm next in Aldi I'll try to remember to buy some filo pastry and I'll double everything because this was so delicious.