Gooooood Morning Vietnam galangal, lemon grass, chicken and sweet potato soup

Apparently to South East Asian eyes we all look the same, which I find a little worrying (as I do scary) given my peer group. And I'm sure we (Europeans) make South Asian cuisine in unthinkable ways to the 'Kinh' people, the residents of Hanoi. I think of 'Full Metal Jacket', and 'Love ya long time 10$', as I watch riverlets of rain cascade down the window pane, wishing for heat I make this lovely soup from Keith Floyd's, 'Far Flung Floyd', albeit not quite Ho Chi Minh, more like Ho Chi Hawkshead.

So some marked down chicken from the co-op, browned with ginger/galangal, garlic, a shallot, chillies, sugar, cumin, turmeric, salt, lemon grass, lime leaves, chicken stock, tin of coconut milk, sweet potato. Simmer till cooked.

Put lots of basil on top to serve.

So without further ado lets get on with offending everyone:-

 "Hey, uh, hi. Can you help me? What's your name? 
"My name's Roosevelt E. Roosevelt." 
"Roosevelt, what town are you stationed in?. 
"I'm stationed in Poontang''.
" Well, thank you, Roosevelt. What's the weather like out there? 
"It's hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking." 
"Well, can you tell me what it feels like."
 "Fool, it's hot! I told you again! Were you born on the sun? It's damn hot! I saw - It's so damn hot, I saw little guys, their orange robes burst into flames. It's that hot! Do you know what I'm talking about."
"What do you think it's going to be like tonight?"
"It's gonna be hot and wet! That's nice if you're with a lady, but it ain't no good if you're in the jungle." "Thank you, Roosevelt. Here's a song coming your way right now. "Nowhere To Run To" by Martha and the Vandellas".

A favorite film, 'Good Morning Vietnam'.